Monday, March 7, 2011

Debra More McGuire To Guest Blog the Mustang A Day Challenge the week of March 7th

Image adapted from Resource Photogrpahy
 by Nancy Roberts
Photo Used by permission.
Debra More McGuire to Guest Blog on the Mustang A Day Challenge March 7th through March 11th.
In Her own words:
"I have been around horses all of my life. Got my first pony for Christmas when I was 3. My mom swears my first word was "horsey" ;o). I raised my first foal at 16 when I bred my Morgan mare to the neighbors Appaloosa stallion (true back yard breeding). I was raised in Oregon with beef cattle. Always had a couple horses.

When I graduated, I moved to Seattle to go to college and moved to NW Wash after that. I brought 2 horses with me to Washington. In 1981 I bought a 2yr old dun AQHA colt that put me into the show ring and into foundation QH breeding. In researching his coloring, I met and learned much about colors and breeding from Virgean Miller, one of the pioneers of the Buckskin breed.
Image adapted from Resource Photogrpahy
 by Nancy Roberts
Photo Used by permission.
I have always been fascinated by unique horse colors and unusual breeds. So I enjoy digging into the whys and wherefores of the colors and combinations of colors that we see in horses and ponies. The mustangs have some of the most unique and varied colors of all.

As a teenager I was one of the horse crazy girls who wrote letters to "Wild Horse Annie". We never had a place at home set up to be able to get a mustang. Last Feb (2010) I was able to adopt my first mustang. A grulla tobiano 2yr old filly from Paisley HMA in Oregon. I now have her, her grulla overo 1/2 sister, her dam and a silver dapple Cold Springs filly we adopted in Nov 2010. As well as several AQHA horses.

I have been married for going on 33 yrs, have one son and daughter in law. A silly macaw, 3 goofy boxers, an Australian shepherd, too many horses and barn cats. I work at a feed/farm store. After many years of showing/judging IBHA, ABRA and open, I now just like to trail ride and camp with the horses back to where I started. In my "spare" time I woodburn, read and sometimes do some leatherwork."
It is with great pleasure we welcome Debra and her expertise and knowledge in horse colors as we explore the golds and silvers of Sand Wash Basin HMA. Thank- you, Debra for your participation.